Benedict Nicholson, the Managing Editor at NewsWhip, talks to your host Vahe Arabian of State of Digital Publishing about the state of Facebook publishing. NewsWhip is a social media company that tracks content by amount and location of user engagement and audience interests.
- Benedict Nicholson shares his personal background, as well as that of NewsWhip.
- How does Benedict’s role help web publishers to get insights into audience’s engagement on Facebook?
- Does NewsWhip use educational approach toward their customers?
- What is happening in Facebook publishing nowadays?
- What is the difference between the Facebook native content and the web content?
- Is there a shift in the terms of engagement within “Facebook” groups and “Instagram”?
- Do “Instagram” stories or “Facebook” stories cost you toward platform content?
- Is there a commonality that publishers are using now?
- Are the publishers monetizing directly from the “Facebook”, or are they using sponsorship and affiliates?
- Is there a paywall content on “Facebook”?
- What advice for people advancing their careers in journalism would Benedict Nicholson give?
3 Key Points:
- People get more engaged with high-quality online videos than with photos.
- The Facebook algorithm change prioritize interaction with friends and family over content from brands.
- It is crucial to really know and understand how the audience resonates with the content.
- “Any URL that’s published on the open web, we are tracking in our database.” – Benedict Nicholson
- “I think knowing the formats that are successful in your space is really important.” – Benedict Nicholson
- “You really have to know and understand what your audience engages with.”– Benedict Nicholson