Founder and Editor in Chief of State of Digital Publishing. My vision is to provide digital publishing and media professionals a platform to collaborate and...Read more
Adam Robinson, Co-Founder and CEO at GetEmails, talks to your host Vahe Arabian of State of Digital Publishing. GetEmails defines themselves as ‘the world’s first-ever email-based retargeting software’ and ‘a powerful new way to get 10x more opted-in email addresses (& more) from your anonymous site visitors.’ Adam Robinson discusses how and why he got GetEmails started, the value propositions that publishers are attracted to, the obstacles that he has overcome, and how Adam arrived at the understanding that GetEMails wasn’t just a feature and was a full-fledged business.
- How did Adam Robinson get started in his career?
- How did Adam realize that GetEmails was a business and not just a feature for an app?
- Adam identified a big tech play was using identification technology and giving people records that are not on their email list yet.
- How does Adam define what GetEmails does?
- How much does it generally cost per record?
- Is Adam looking into legally approaching international publishers?
- How does email retargeting factor into GetEmails?
- What are the common issues that Adam Robinson is seeing?
- Local magazines enjoy GetEmails because they generally get paid $100 per CPM per newsletter.
- Are there any other interesting opt-ins that could challenge what GetEmails is offering?
- How have publishers been able to earn the trust of the emails they are contacting?
- Are there any issues with deliverability and potentially being flagged by the ESP?
- What do publishers need to do to make more direct outreach using GetEmails?
- How did Adam Robinson’s background prepare him to be resolute in going in this particular career path?
- Is there an integration or a direct market play with GetEmails?
- Ideally for Adam, GetEmails is an outbound sales effort that hits people who are subscription priced in the 1000s and 10,000s.
- What are they doing to improve technology?
3 Key Points:
- GetEmails prices can begin at 25 cents a record, and scale down to 20 cents a record and even 15 cents a record with large orders. But only currently legal in the United States.
- What the email ecosystem was trying to get you to not do was just buy a list and spam to it, or acquire email addresses and spam to it.
- To differentiate that GetEmails was a company and a product and not just an add-on feature, Adam defined the marketing conditions and customer friction of switching over if it was just a feature.
- “The first roommates I had in New York started Vimeo, in college humor, in my apartment. I watched these guys become these prolific internet entrepreneurs. Vimeo is a top 10 website.” – Adam Robinson
- (GetEmails) “You put a pixel on your website and we can identify up to 35% of the visitors and then give you third-party opt-ins with email address, first name/last name and postal of people that have been on your website.” – Adam Robinson
- “Fire out the first welcome series. Never been any problems from that. There are infinite opportunities in customizing those journeys because we give you the landing page that they were on.” – Adam Robinson