Founder and Editor in Chief of State of Digital Publishing. My vision is to provide digital publishing and media professionals a platform to collaborate and...Read more
Dan Radin, Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Auxbus, the podcast platform for brands, talks to your host Vahe Arabian of State of Digital Publishing about the state of maximizing the return-on-investment for podcasts. Auxbus is a software company that builds audio operating systems, guides users end-to-end to save them time and produce professional results with the use of proprietary technology. Dan shares information about the various ways to monetize podcast shows, measuring engagement, and how to create and launch great podcasts.
Stay up to date on the latest news, trends, and best practices in digital publishing.
- Dan Radin explains his personal background, as well as Auxbus’.
- What made Dan make the leap into Auxbus?
- What is the ad-supported content model for podcasts?
- How does the patronage model for podcast shows work?
- What is the paywall model for podcasts?
- How can podcasters mix up the different models of monetization?
- What area of the market does Auxbus focus on?
- What was the point of validation with clients to move forward with Auxbus?
- Dan walks people through “How to start a successful podcast from scratch?”
- Release new episodes on Tuesday at 5 am because people generally listen to podcasts before work, during the commute to work or during their commute home from work.
- What are the four steps of creating a podcast?
- What are some tactical angles clients can use to differentiate themselves for their podcast?
- Podcasts aren’t great sales tools, they are great marketing tools.
- How can you maximize the time and cost for podcasts?
- Google announced they are able to use natural language processing to take audio files, make them searchable like text, and get indexed in Google search.
- Create and release podcast content consistently over a long period of time.
- Appear on other podcasts and in-podcast advertising for promotion.
- What does Auxbus have coming up in the future?
- Know your “why” for your business.
- What tips does Dan Radin have for podcasting?
3 Key Points:
- The three business models for podcasts typically are: The ad-supported content model, the patronage model, and the paywall subscription model.
- Ways to measure the quality of engagement of a podcast include: how much is it shared, how many people are creating clips out of it and sharing them, and how often is it being referred to people.
- Don’t launch your podcast with one episode, launch with a batch of 10 episodes.
- “We take away all of the technical requirements so that you can focus on being the voice of the content as opposed to producing the content yourself.” – Dan Radin
- “Our sweet spot and our approach to the market is we work with small and medium businesses with a focus on positioning podcasts as content marketing.” – Dan Radin
- “Podcasts, which started out really as a cottage industry of hobby media, are now a mass medium with 1 out of 3 Americans listening monthly, and 1 in 4 listening weekly. That is the same in a lot of other countries.” – Dan Radin