Kerel Cooper, Senior Vice President of Global Marketing at LiveIntent talks to your host Vahe Arabian of State of Digital Publishing about email advertising. Kerel Cooper leads the marketing team at LiveIntent and works closely with sales, product, engineering, and customer success to generate leads and awareness. Learn from Kerel’s vast experience in adtech and martech, find out why the inbox is such an important frontier for digital publishing success and the ways in which LiveIntent enables their publishers to build their audience.
- Kerel Cooper provides an introduction to his life and work.
- What made Kerel Cooper, move away from publishing to the adtech/martech side?
- Is the shift from publishing to the tech side becoming a more common adaptation?
- What have publishers been speaking about lately with clients?
- How does Kerel approach growing subscribers?
- What is Kerel’s opinion on free newsletters versus paid newsletters?
- What are the common knowledge gaps towards acquisition versus retention?
- Kerel explains strategies for improving CPM outcomes of clients.
- With email advertising, what are some things publishers should look out for?
- Which tech trends does Kerel wish would exist?
- How does Kerel believe that personalization and automation will continue to expand?
- How can martech entities integrate with other solution providers?
- What new services does Kerel recommend that we pay attention to?
3 Key Points:
- Starting your career in ad operations, specifically ad publishers, you get to see all sides of the business from product, sales, content, marketing, and goals that customers are trying to achieve along with the technical side as well.
- It is important to build audience and not just build traffic.
- Email is important for engagement because a customer’s email address is their most personal piece of digital information.
- “If you think about publishers, and their role with social media over the years, publishers have unfortunately given away a lot to social channels. They’ve given away their content, and in a sense, they have given away their audience.” – Kerel Cooper.
- “If you think about email, that gives the publisher back control, because email, just like Facebook and other social channels is 100% logged in, is highly engaged.” – Kerel Cooper.
- “How can email be leveraged, not only to promote content, but also to grow revenue, and also to better understand your audience and your customer?” – Kerel Cooper.