Christopher Hogg, EMEA Managing Director at Lotame, talks to your host Vahe Arabian of State of Digital Publishing. Lotame is the world’s leading unstacked data solutions company, helping partners, marketers, and agencies find new customers, grow revenue, and increase engagement through audience data. Christopher Hogg talks about his work at Lotame, private data exchanges, as well as second-party data and third-party data.
- Christopher Hogg discusses his background.
- How did Christopher get involved in working with Lotame?
- What are Lotame’s core verticals?
- How does he find the difference between European, African, and Middle Eastern markets?
- Does Lotame have a cross-platform approach?
- How is he finding his role now to help publishers?
- How has having partnerships allowed publishers to access more sophisticated dollar management strategies to create campaigns?
- What are the differences between small and large publishers?
- Why was there a big announcement with Lotame?
- How would Christopher define second-party data?
- What types of second-party data have customers been interested in?
- Has he seen success with second-party data with aggregated content?
- How does he feel about leveraging third-party publishers?
- How can publishers leverage private data exchanges?
- What can publishers do within data exchanges to be successful?
- What mistakes are publishers making with second-party data?
- What data sources might be more important in years to come?
- What is Christopher excited about for 2020?
- How can people learn more about data exchanges and data management?
3 Key Points:
- Data portability — being able to bring in different datasets from different sources — is key to Lotame’s open and independent platform.
- Publishers need to look at the risk vs. reward of sharing data. How will they facilitate this from both a sales point-of-view and a technology point-of-view? Who will be the right partner to make this happen?
- Publishers should avoid making segments too general. The whole value of 2PD is to offer something not provided by 3PD. Use data science or user interactions to add that value above 3P and to complement a brand’s 1P data.
- “Lotame is a data solutions business. We have been in existence for 13 years, and so, very experienced at what we do. We have two core verticals: technology and data .” – Christopher Hogg
- “Our technology is applied by premium publishers, agencies, and brands to collect, organize, and activate and analyze their first-party data.assets. We have a number of tools to help our customers be successful.” – Christopher Hogg
- “We have a global data exchange. We sit on about 4.5 billion devices globally, with about 600 million around the European regions.” – Christopher Hogg